What a GREAT race!! I must admit that I have found my new favorite Searcy 5K! I REALLY hope this becomes an annual event because if so- I will be back!
- All proceeds went towards the Micah Rine Wellness Center- which will be at the school my children attend. Micah Rine was an HA alumni who died tragically at the age of 26. Her family put this race together as just one way to remember Micah and celebrate her life. (She loved to run and though I did not know her well I did see her many times when I would run on the trail by our old house. )
- The course started at Harding Academy and then right through the heart of Harding University. Overall was a very fast, flat course.
- All registered participants received red dry fit technical t-shirts and winners in the age division received another technical shirt in white.
- Race started on time and was very organized. 🙂
- There were several turns in this race but plenty of volunteers to make sure no one got lost. There was a worker at every turn and at each mile there was a volunteer calling out times. Thank you!!
- The only slight negative for the race was that there were no chips for timing. However, if you wanted to race this competitively there was plenty of room at the starting line. There was only one second difference between the official time and my Garmin time so NO BIGGIE!
Mile 1- 6:22- I felt good. The first quarter mile was fast. A few times I looked down to see a 5 so I knew I took off fast. There were two ladies in front of me from the start but by the half mile marker I had passed them both. My brother-in-law (also a former college cross country runner) was pacing with me during this mile so it was nice to have a “teammate.”
Mile 2- 6:35- I actually still felt good and this surprised me! The last few 5 K’s I have run in I have had a side stitch early on but not today! I was very pleased to see an average in the 6:30’s for mile 2.
Mile 3- 6:30- This mile surprised me even more than Mile 2. I usually get slower each mile of a 5K. For some crazy reason I actually sped up this mile because I still felt good and I knew this was the end of the race.
Mile 3.1- 0.33 (5:46 pace)- I saw the clock and realized I just might break the 20 minute mark. I missed it by 2 seconds BUT I felt great about my performance.
Total Race Time- 20:00, 6:27 avg. pace for 3.1 miles